« Home | Talking on corners » | The 'other' Oxford Street » | A good send off » | Every dark cloud has a silver lining » | A tribute to my father » | Recycle this » | Maritime - Hull Marina » | Humber street fruit market, Hull » | A maritime connection? » | "Howdy neighbour, it's health and happiness time" » 

Thursday, September 04, 2008 

Maritime decay - Victoria Dock, Hull


Weather wise, the last few days have been appalling, wet and windy, no good for a photographer, especially someone badly in need of inspiration such as myself. I had hoped to visit the East Yorkshire coast, weather permitting I'll do that next week.

In the meantime I spent most of this afternoon in Hull's 'Maritime Quarter', what's left of it. I took these images of Victoria Dock, or rather what used to be the dock. Most of it has been 'gentrified' by developers, and a good job they seem to have done. Housing predominates, the locks and most of the original docks are still there, but they're used differently.




These images are of what's left of the old quays, rotting away as wood does. In amongst this are railway lines, twisted, rusting that were apart of the now long since disused docks. They may be an eyesore, a danger even. I guess there isn't the money to either preserve, or demolish the structures? Anyway, while they exist, they are a tangible reminder of Hull's once thriving maritime history.


Labels: , , , , ,

Great pictures, I used to walk round here quite a lot when I lived at top end of Holderness Road, brought back quite a few memories.

Oh wow - check that out!! How interesting.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm JJ
  • From Hull, Yorkshire, United Kingdom
  • I still haven't got the hang of Thursdays, nevermind life in general. Perhaps I should get out more?
My profile
Syndicate this site (XML)









BlogMad! British Blog Directory.



Photoblogs.org
View My Profile



Blogarama - The Blog Directory



Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 England & Wales License. Image hosting by Photobucket

Rate Me on BlogHop.com!
the best pretty good okay pretty bad the worst help?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Click Here to Visit Top 100 Hull Bloggers

«#Blogging Brits?»

Varb For Me
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates
* The title of this blog inspired by a piece of music written by fellow Yorkshireman, and favourite musician / composer / guitarist, Bill Nelson.